Unintentional thoughts of a struggling writer & poet on trivial yet acidic issues like politics, nations, life, himself, etc.

02 November, 2007

Red: A symbol of ...


Yesterday. Same route. Almost the same time. Late evening. I was returning home from office. Ripping across the city, to my suburbia dungeon, the place I call home. Winding around vehicles, motorized or not, men, animals, inanimate derelict clots and craters.

One signal was against me, like many others before it. Glaring RED. I obeyed and stopped. Something made me take a second look on the red circular blob, erected so enthusiastically by the statecraft!

Red, a symbol of passion, love, beauty, blood, good luck, prostitution, and communism, among others. Glimpses of the soviet flag, the CPI(M) flag, the CPI(M) flag unfurling furiously on top of closed factories in the heart of erstwhile industrialized Bengal, dashed through my eyes.

Yes. Red, the symbol of economic equality for humans, across cultures and continents. In hindsight, it keeps all men poor and hence equal.

My thoughts immediately moved on to the cars, bikes and rickshaws that I had zipped past, which were now filling the gaps in the road, around me. I sadly drew a simile between communist red and the traffic red, despite my knowledge of the wavelength dominance that the color enjoys. Both putting people on the same podium, in total incomprehension of their individual skills, efforts, entrepreneurship and enterprise. One in the rat race for work, other in a rat race to it!

Red, a great leveler…

2 comments:

Grace said...

i love this post..

Anonymous said...

awesm things..bt thr r fw things I cudn't make out..-Monica