Unintentional thoughts of a struggling writer & poet on trivial yet acidic issues like politics, nations, life, himself, etc.

08 October, 2007

Happy Birth Day!!!

So, it is my birthday today. Fabulous! I love the day! Everyone treats me so special. Have liked it since childhood.

Anyway, so last night the guys who live upstairs had put up a very nice show for me. They bought a cake, put balloons on the ceiling and sang ‘Happy Birthday to you’ with full zest. All this without my knowledge. In my home. I was surely surprised and touched by the endeavor. These guys deserve a party.

And Chiru sponsored the bracelet that I bought yesterday when I was out shopping with him and Moshu. Chunky-funky stuff. Chiru says it looks good. But I decided against wearing it to office today, even after trying it once. Too bold for the corporate culture!

O.K. So, after the cake-shake, clicking pictures and all happy-happy, I hit bed, planning to get my ass off to office on time next morning. It was already one hour past midnight. And I ate this sumptuous lunch, cooked with Mom’s love in the afternoon. I actually overate. Then the cook didn’t turn up in the evening. Apparently too happy to cook after Mom’s generous tip as a part of my birthday celebrations, in the afternoon. As an aftermath, we had some chinese for dinner which we bought on our way back from our Lajpat shopping spree. Too much good and rich food for a day. And I was all burpy-turpy. Uneasy in bed. I was also thinking how to make my birthday more exciting.

So, after quiet a while trying to sleep, I thought a couple of glasses of water can help. And I went ahead for the kitchen foray. Meandering my way to the kitchen door, before I could realize what hit me, I saw a fat cat springing away to safety. Must have been a male cat. Almost the size of Garfield. The type we call ‘hulo’ in Bangla. The ‘hulo’ hit me so hard that I got unbalanced and banged the doorframe, severely injured on my shoulder and right leg, where the ‘hulo’ collided in the first place. Intuitively, the ‘hulo’ had been thriving on the remains of our dinner and lunch for many days now. Or the whole neighborhood maybe. How wonderful! So many options to choose from. Like we choose restaurants. Reasonably though, our kitchen is an easy target as Moshu believes in keeping all doors open to the balcony on his side of the apartment. A cakewalk for any mammal that can bounce feets.

O.K. I shouted out. In mere astonishment of what happened. Great amusement for Chiru who was watching TV in the room adjoining the kitchen. So this asshole knew about the ‘hulo’ all the time. He also tried to ‘shoo’ it away twice. But the ‘hulo’ was determined and chiru gave in. Allowed it eat whatever it wanted to. I was still dazed from the event when Chiru declared that when people run for their lives, it is usually so reckless. I thanked him for the piece of wisdom. And suddenly realized that the ‘hulo’ was God send. It was God’s idea to make my birthday exciting that I was contemplating in the past minutes. True that a cat had never hit me before! So, my annoyance turned into happiness for having a new experience in life. Thank you God!

And now I am in office. I received numerous phone calls since morning. Few on my way. Even my ex-would be mother-in-law called. She is really a sweet woman. And there were three pages of scraps wishing me a very happy birthday on Orkut.

Anyway, so I thought of playing that school kid and presented all my co-workers with a chocolate bar. Well, some were amused by my apparent immaturity. But I felt good. And now I’m waiting for the cake cutting ceremony at office. Hope they ordered a Black Forest from Slice of Italy. Though I’m not particularly hungry or greedy today. My digestion protested to the sudden extravagance yesterday after months of subsistence eating.

Well. Don’t know what’s going to happen in the evening. Have no plans yet. Will probably treat the sweet kids (yeah, they are younger!) from upstairs for their emotional generosity.

But one thought is worrying me already. A lot of friends are good and I’m proud of each one of them. But its birthday time now. “Hey dude! Happy birthday and blah! blah! blah! So, where is the party tonight?” Trust me it is physically ‘almost’ impossible (nothing is impossible, ideologically of course) to bring all my friends together under one roof on a single day. So many fragmented parties. And economies of scale go for a toss!. I can’t even say that I don’t drink so I won’t treat you with booze. As many of my teetotaler buddies do.

Alright. Have to deal with both sides of it. Looking forward to all such evenings and celebrations. After all, do I spend less on booze if it’s not my birthday? But ironically, this month I thought I would start saving, for a change.

Anyway. Bye-Bye for now. Will keep you posted on all exciting happenings.

Cheers!!!

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

I thought of writing you a nice "cat" related smart-ass comment..........
Then I found a web page where you could have your heartful of them
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/phrases.htm

Hope you had a SUPER birthday !!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.